Watch Kandi Burruss Cook A Feel-Good Favorite
I had such a great time on “The Chew” today representing Old Lady Gang. We made one of my feel-good favorites that was passed down to me from Mama Joyce.
Here’s what you’ll need to make “Kandi’s Creamed Corn”!
6 ears corn (husked, silks removed)
1 tablespoon seasoned salt
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
6-8 strips maple cured bacon
1/2 cup + 3 tablespoons cup water (divided)
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper (to taste)
Servings: 5-6 / 30 to 45 min
1. Line a plate with paper towels. Set aside.
2. Over a large bowl, using a sharp knife, cut down the cob, slicing a little less than halfway through the kernels. Cut down the cob once more to remove the remaining meat of the kernels. Using the back side of the knife, scrape the remainder of the cob to extract the milk.
3. Add seasoning salt, flour, and sugar to corn mixture and stir to combine. Stir in 3 tablespoons of water and season with salt and pepper.
4. In a cold large cast iron skillet, add bacon and place over medium heat. Cook until desired doneness has been reached. Remove from heat and transfer to prepared plate. When cool enough to handle, crumble bacon with hands and set aside. Drain all but 1/4 cup of the rendered fat and return to medium-high heat.
5. When grease is very hot, add corn mixture and cook in reserved bacon fat for 1-2 minutes. Deglaze with 1/2 cup of water, scraping any bits stuck to the pan with back of a wooden spoon. Cook until the liquid has been reduced to 1/3, about 15 minutes.
6. Stir in crumbled bacon and simmer for another 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve with fried pork chops.
7. Tip: For a little heat, add some diced jalapeno in with the bacon!